Tuesday, January 17, 2017

January Has Never Been a Good Month for Me



January has never been a good month for me.  I lost both my mother and father in January.  The snow and cold weather make it tough for me to move and get around. I suffer from Altiris and sciatica; the cold weather makes both of these worse.  I rarely have a good start to the new year.

I have started burning a blue candle in honor of my mother since she has passed.  The two weeks before her death that she was in the hospital, I burned a candle every night.  I know when the candle could burn no more she would be gone.  Sadly, I was right about this, a couple of hours after the candle had burnt out for the last time, my sister called me to tell me my mother was gone.  So, every year the last two weeks of January I burn a blue candle for her.



I do my best to keep moving and active in the wintertime.  Moving around does help with arthritis and sciatica. There are times when the pain is very bad, and I have to rest.  Lucky for me my family does understand this, but it seems to get worse every year.  I have discovered some exercises that are helping.

January has always been a hard month for me.  I do my best to get through it.  I can not wait for this winter to be over.  There are significant changes coming around springtime. I look forward to the days to come.

photos and content by Lady Nightwave Brenda Marie  ©2017 all right reserved


6 comments:

  1. I love the blue candle as a way to remember your mom. That is a wonderful tribute. I know that things look dark in this cold season. I have trouble with it, too. Wishing for the best for you. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic that your mom and dad both passed in January, so did mine. How ironic that you lit a blue candle for you mom, so did I and still do at every Mass. While January has many sorrows for me as well, I try to hold on to all the wonderful memories I hold in my heart about my mom and dad. Beautiful post Brenda <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Maratha. My mother's favorite color was blue. My memories of my parents are still strong and dear to me. I hope to pass on many family traditions that they held dear onto my son.

      Delete
  3. Winter be rough and seem very long. I have severe spinal arthritis and battle depression, so the dark days take their toll on me.

    I find it easiest to try to distract myself and try to get outside if and when the sun shines. I have noticed that the days are already getting longer (since December 22), so my hope is building up again.

    Spring is my favorite season because it brings a renewal of life - trees have buds, birds that migrate are returning and even the air smells wonderful.

    Try to keep your spirits up. It's good that you have a supportive family. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much. Writing has always been my way to get through. So, in the winter I write a lot more. It bring me great joy when I find that somehow I have helped someone through my writing.

      Delete